49 FRECOGS Announcements
49 Editor’s Note
50 Exchange journal and society information: Mary K. Mannix Received Award; New Acquisitions of the Maryland Room; Western Maryland Room in new library [Hagerstown] to be named for John Frye; New on Whilbr; New Acquisitions of the Historical Society of Frederick Co, MD; New Acquisitions of the Western Maryland Room
53 Member Highlights (New and Renewal, cards submitted, new in the library, periodicals)
53 Abstracts/Transcriptions: New Ancestors; Adam Swigart Grave marking; Frederick, MD: a Family History Connection; Iowa Connections; The 1897 Belle Plaine Biographical Directory; Query;
63 Iowa Pioneers Update; Richard Bivins; Out of State Obituaries; Albea (Alby) Family; George Dallas Lambert; Walter J. Lambert
65 Books, magazines, services
65 Past President’s Appreciation for FRECOGS
From a recent board email notice:
“We are not a 501© 3 nor does it look like we will ever be since it will costs us $750 to apply. Having an annual budget of less than $2500 without tangible assets puts us in a much smaller pond of organizations. It also means we do not need to take ourselves quite so seriously.
“If we would listen to what the members want there are three things—good programs and a good newsletter and now a good website. They do not want Robert’s Rules of Order, they do not want a lot of work, they do not want to do big events, they do not want complicated by-laws or complicated audits and reviews.
“We can full fill our mission without being stiff and formal. That is NOT what the members wants.”
Due to current trends, August will be the last newsletter I edit. I have forwarded items for October to FRECOGS website
One of the recent seeming important items announced by the Historical Society of Frederick County is the “Approximately 2,300 original marriage certificates and licenses, 1880-1895, anonymously donated” as being part of the Frederick County Historical Society collection.
Since the newsletter no longer has restrains on size, this issue has more than 16 pages.
Thurs- 4 Aug 10 AM. The Thomas Balch library in Leesburg, VA will have Mary Fishback speaking on “Traditional Genealogical Resources” at The Thomas Balch Library, 208 West Market Street, Leesburg, VA. To reserve a spot call 703/737-7195.
Tues-9 Aug. Noon “Water Resources of Carroll County”. Tom Devilbiss is the speaker.$4 for nonmembers; $1 for members. Historical Society of Carroll County; Box Lunch Talks-bring your lunch; beverage and desert provided. American Legion Carroll Post 31 at the corner of Sycamore and Green Sts in Westminster. More info? Call HSCC 410/848-6494 or check the calendar at <hscc.carr.org>.
Fri- 19 Aug at 1:00 PM. The Research Users Group at the National Archives in the Washington, DC Area will hold its quarterly meeting which is open to anyone who is interested in the activities at the National Archives. The meeting will be held in room G-24, Archives I in Washington, DC. Additional details can be found at http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/researcher-users-group/.
Weds-Sat 7-10 Sept. The Federation of Genealogical Societies will hold its annual conference “Pathways to the Heartland” in Springfield, Illinois. Additional details can be found at <fgs.org>
Mon- 19 Sept. Topic to be announced. 7:30 PM, Carroll Co Genealogical Society meeting held in the Dixon Room at the Carroll County Public Library in Westminster, <www.carr.org/ccgs/>
Mon- 26 Sept 7:00 P.M. “Summer Stories: Brick Walls Scaled, Ancestors Found” by the society members. The St. Mary’s (Maryland) County Genealogical Society meets at the Leonardtown Library, 23250 Hollywood Road (MD 245), Leonardtown, MD. <www.smcgsi.org/>
Thurs- 6 Oct 10 AM. The Thomas Balch library at Leesburg Virginia has Alexandra S. Gressitt and Stephanie Adams Hunter speaking on “Introduction to Digital Resources” at The Thomas Balch Library, 208 West Market Street, Leesburg, VA. To reserve a spot call 703/737-7195. <www.leesburgva.gov/thomasbalchlibrary/publications>
Mon- 24 Oct 7:00 P.M. “Mapping the Neighborhood to Understanding Our Ancestors Lives” presented by Chuck Mason. The St. Mary’s (Maryland) County Genealogical Society meets at the Leonardtown Library, 23250 Hollywood Road (MD 245), Leonardtown, MD. <www.smcgsi.org/>
Thurs- 3 Nov 10 AM. Stephanie Adams Hunter presents “Using Visual Collections” at The Thomas Balch Library, 208 West Market Street, Leesburg, VA. To reserve a spot call 703/737-7195. <www.leesburgva.gov/thomasbalchlibrary/publications>
Mon- 28 Nov 7:00 P.M. “Seven Habits of Highly Effective Genealogists” presented by Dr Thomas Jones. The St. Mary’s (Maryland) County Genealogical Society meets at the Leonardtown Library, 23250 Hollywood Road (MD 245), Leonardtown, MD. <www.smcgsi.org/>
Thurs-1 Dec. 10 AM. Wynne Saffer presents a lecture on “Deed Research” at The Thomas Balch Library, 208 West Market Street, Leesburg, VA. To reserve a spot call 703/737-7195. <www.leesburgva.gov/thomasbalchlibrary/publications>
EXCHANGE JOURNAL AND SOCIETY INFORMATION AND NOTICES
and Articles in other publications related to Frederick, MD or of General interest
Mary K. Mannix Received Award
CHICAGO – Mary K. Mannix, Maryland Room manager at Frederick (MD.) County Public Libraries, is the 2011 recipient of the Genealogical Publishing Company/History Section Award for outstanding contributions to the History Section (HS) of the Reference and User Services Association (RUSA).
Mannix was selected for this year’s award due to her extraordinary long-term leadership in the History Section, which has kept the section strong and encouraged member participation. That leadership includes two terms as section chair, numerous committee chair appointments and notable contributions to program and preconference planning. In addition to her section leadership, the selection committee commended Mannix as a role model for outstanding local history and genealogy librarianship and her extensive accomplishments managing Maryland historical and genealogical collections and services at the Frederick (MD.) County Public for the past
New Acquisitions of the Maryland Room American architecture since 1780: a guide to the styles / Marcus Whiffen. Call num: M 720.973 WHIF 1992
Atlas of the breeding birds of Maryland and the District of Columbia / Chandler S. Robbins, senior editor; Eirik A.T. Blom, project coordinator. Call num: M 598.297 ATLA 1996
Baltimore neighborhoods / Marsha Wight Wise. Call num: M 975.26 WISE 2009
Barns, sheds and outbuildings / edited by Byron D. Halsted. Call num: M 728.922 BARN 1977
Chesapeake quarterly / Maryland Sea Grant College. Call num: M PERIODICAL
Colorado volunteers in New Mexico, 1862 / by Ovando J. Hollister; edited by Richard Harwell. Call num: M BRIGHAM COLORADO 1962
Encore / Phillip Fogarty. Call num: SF FOGA
Forever in our hearts [sound recording]/ Nita Mondo*nedo Smith. Call num: CD BOOK B SMITH
The … Guide to mental health and community support services in Frederick County. Call num: M 362.2 GUI
A history of the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal / Berry, David A. (David Allen), 1954- Call num: M 386.46 BERR 2010
History on the line: testimony in the cause of preservation / Richard Longstreth. Call num: M 975.3 LONG 1998
Holly’s picturesque country seats: a complete reprint of the 1863 classic / Henry Hudson Holly 1834-1892; with a new introduction by George B. Tatum. Call num: M 720.92 HOLL 1993
Brightness falls from the air/ by Birch Hotz . Call num: M B HOLTZ 2009
Identifying American architecture: a pictorial guide to styles and terms, 1600-1945 / John J.-G. Blumenson 1942-; foreword by Nikolaus Pevsner; with photographs from the Historic American Buildings Survey; commentary on the photographs by David Harding Paine. Call num: M 720.973 BLUM 1981
Images of Washington County, Maryland: preserved by the photography staff of the Herald-Mail COMPANY. Call num: M 975.291 IMAG 2005
Kids love Maryland: a family travel guide to exploring “Kid-tested” places in Maryland …year round! / George & Michele Zavatsky. Call num: M 917.52 ZAVA 2007
Martin Bladen, 1680-1746 / by Chatham Clark. Call num: M B BLADEN 1969
Military operations in Jefferson County (Virginia & West Virginia), 1861-1865: containing eyewitness accounts of Civil War skirmishes in the lower Shenandoah Valley involving these Jefferson county Stalwarts … / [compiled and edited by Charles S. Adams]. Call num: M 973.73 ADAM 1994
Outdoor sculpture in Baltimore: a historical guide to public art in the monumental city / Cindy Kelly; photographs by Edwin Harlan Remsberg. Call num: M 730.9752 KELL 2011
The Penguin dictionary of architecture / [by] John Fleming, Hugh Honour [and] Nikolaus Pevsner. Call num: M 720 DICT 1966
Report of the Adjutant General of the state of Kansas, 1861-’65. Vol. I. (Reprinted by authority.). Corporate Author: Kansas. Adjutant General’s Office. Call num: M BRIGHAM KANSAS 1896
A reverence for wood / Eric Sloane. Call num: M 694 SLOA 1965
The Tuscarora review. Call num: M 808.8 TUS
The Washington directory: showing the name, occupation, and residence of each head of a family & person in business: together with other useful information. Call num: M 975.3 WASH 1997
Western Maryland Room in new library [Hagerstown] to be named for John Frye.
The man who built the Western Maryland Collection at the Washington County Free Library will now be the room’s new namesake. In honor of his lifetime of service to local history, library officials Wednesday night proclaimed that they will name the room that houses the collection the John Frye Room. “John Frye is a legend in this community,” Library Director Mary Baykan said. “He built the Western Maryland collection from the very beginning.”
Art Callaham, president of the library board of trustees, announced the change Wednesday night during a fundraiser for the collection and the newly-named room held at Fountain Head Country Club near Hagerstown.
See http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-library-room-named-for-historian-john-frye-20110518,0,5584334.story and http://www.herald-mail.com/opinion/hm-historian-frye-truly-deserving-of-naming-honor-20110528,0,7230588.story
New on Whilbr
Civil War – Hagerstown Newspapers, 150 years ago this week
The Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland newspapers covered the events of the Civil War in their pages, not just the events at Antietam and South Mountain, but throughout the country. Editorials and letters to the editor from both sides of the conflict were printed.
The project makes use of the Historic Newspaper Indexing Project that the Washington County Free Library has been engaged in for many years. The Herald of Freedom and Torch Light and other Hagerstown papers have been included.
This website will be updated weekly with items from the Hagerstown newspapers 150 years ago that week. http://www.whilbr.org/CW150Hagerstown/index.aspx
Whilbr is the history website of the Western Maryland Regional Library, which provides services to Washington, Allegany and Garrett Counties.
New Acquisitions of the Historical Society of Frederick Co, MD
▸ Norman, Andrew and Selkirk Bruce of Maryland, donated by Patty Phares
▸ Approximately 2,300 original marriage certificates and licenses, 1880-1895, anonymously donated
▸ Index to Carroll County Records from the Register of Wills, 1837-1898, Volume II, Inventories and Sales of Real and Personal Property, donated by the Carroll County Genealogical Society
▸ Basic Field Manual, Soldiers Handbook 1941; Baker Park photograph, 1930s (pictured); blueprints and layout of house in Frederick County; Middletown High School material; and Boy Scouts of America material, donated by Bryan Main
▸ Frederick County Dental Society collection, donated by the Frederick Dental Society
▸ Hood College student handbook, 1927-1928; Books Good for Children, for sale by Storm & Shipley, Frederick, MD; two postcards; Selected Recipes compiled by Mrs. M.C. Carson, Matron of Hood College; and 12 prints and cased images, donated by Linda Boyer Brundrett
▸ Print of front door, corner of West Second and Court streets, Frederick, and life insurance policy for Albert Austin Pearre, donated by Nancy Lesure
[Historical Society of Frederick County May-June-July 2011 newsletter, pg 6]
New Acquisitions of the Western Maryland Room
Dietrich, Becky, 1926- Artists of the Cumberland Valley, 1976-1995: based on the column “The artist’s forum” Waynesboro, PA.: J&M Printing, c2007.
Dietrich, Becky, 1926- Mont Alto sampler [S.l.: s.n.], 2005.
Dietrich, Becky, 1926- Stories of the summit plateau: and beyond in the valley Waynesboro, PA.: J&M Printing, c2010.
Hemphill, Rick L. Disloyal union: the slavery conspiracy West Conshohocken, PA.: Infinity Pub., c2009.
Young man about Frederick Town: the James Reid diary, 1848-1851 / Carroll H. Hendrickson, Jr. and David H. Wallace. Ellicott City, MD: Historical Society of Frederick County, c2010.
Seib, Gary. Pappy’s story Pittsburgh, PA.: RoseDog Books, c2009.
Images of Berkeley County: a collection of photographs from Berkeley County / compiled by Don Silvius. Martinsburg, W. VA.: Berkeley County Historical Society, 2009.
Sollenberger, Ira Burkholder. The John Franklin Sollenberger family: 1858- [Dillsburg, PA.: Ira Burkholder Sollenberger, 2008?]
Wadel, Lester M., 1936- Descendants of Johann Peter Wadel 1827-1901 / compiled by Lester M. Wadel, Jr., Marilyn S. Wadel, Doris Jean (Wadel) Sollenberger; contributed to by Mark N. Wadel. Gettysburg, PA: Lester M. Wadel, Jr.; Chambersburg, PA: Doris Jean Sollenberger, c1999.
Searching the Web is easy. Why should searching the law be any different? That’s why Fastcase has created the Public Library of Law — to make it easy to find the law online. PLoL is one of the largest free law libraries in the world, because we assemble law available for free scattered across many different sites — all in one place. PLoL is the best starting place to find law on the Web.
What is available on PLoL?
Cases from the U.S. Supreme Court and Courts of Appeals
Cases from all 50 states back to 1997
Federal statutory law and codes from all 50 states
Regulations, court rules, constitutions, and more!
PLoL also includes free links to paid content on Fastcase. PLoL is one of the Web’s largest free law libraries, but with additional links from Fastcase, it is one of the most comprehensive law libraries in the world.
MEMBER HIGHLIGHTS (New and Renewal, surname cards submitted, new in the library
Mail received is taken to the next meeting for all to see. It is then disposed of as follows.
1. Periodicals related to Maryland counties are donated to the Maryland Room, C. Burr Artz Library, Frederick Co Public Library system; Mary Mannix manager.
2. Periodicals related to the migration trails of those families leaving Frederick Co are donated to the Library at the Historical Society of Frederick County.
3. The remaining periodicals are either given to members attending the meeting who want them or they are disposed of.
4. Query letters and letters with family information are abstracted in the newsletter, available for viewing at the following member meeting and then given to anyone who wants them.
5. Advertisements, etc are placed on the bulletin board of the LDS Family History Center, 199 North Pl, Frederick, and then disposed of after the attendance date
National- NGS Magazine [National Genealogical Society] Vol 37 #1 Jan-Mar 2011
MD- The Notebook [Baltimore Co Genealogical Society] Vol 27 #1 Spring 2011
MD- Newsletter [Baltimore Co Genealogical Society] Feb 2011
MD- Carrolltonian [Carroll Co Genealogical Society] Vol 30 # 4 Jun 2011
MD- Newsletter [Historical Society of Frederick County] May-jun-Jul 2011
MD- The Family Tree [Howard Co Genealogical Society] #340 Apr 2011
NC- Iredell County Tracks [Genealogical Society of Iredell Co, NC] Vol 34 #2 Spring 2011
OH- Noble County Chapter OGS Vol 27 #1 Jan-Feb-Mar 2011
VA- Fairfax Genealogical Society Newsletter Vol 26 #4 Mar 2011
BROWN: BRAUN, BROUN, BROWNE John: b c 1742 d a 4-1-1801 MD m/1 XX Sgt MD
BULLOCK: BULLOCH James: b c 1755 d a 1-10-1778 MD m (1) Ann X Sol MD
DUVAL: DAVOL, DEVALL, DEVOLL, DIVOL, DIVOLL, DUELL, DUVALL, VALL Aquilla: b c 1730 MD d a 11-3-1783 MD 1/m Elizabeth Ridgely PS Pvt: MD
FUNDERBURGH: FUNDERBERK Walter: b c 1723 d a 10-16-1778 MD 1/m Catherine Stoll PS MD
HOOVER: HOVER, HUBER Adam: b c1729 d a 8-20-1814 PA 1/m Catherine X Sol MD
MYERS: MAYER, MEYER, MIERS, MOYER, MYER John: b c 1756 d 10-14-1846 NC m (1) Esther Armsworthy Pvt MD
SHIPLEY: Talbot: b 9-17-1757 MD d 1-18-1799 MD 1/m Rachel Owings Chew PS MD
[DAR Newsletter, Vol 11 # 2 Mar/Apr 2011 pg 138-140]
Adam Swigart Grave marking
William Winchester Chapter, Westminster. MD., marked the grave of Adam Swigart on November 6. 2010, at the St. Luke’s Lutheran Church Cemetery in New Windsor. MD. During the Revolutionary War Swigart served as a member of the Pennsylvania militia’s 3rd Battalion, commanded by Colonel Michael Lindermuth. Swigart married and had four sons and five daughters with his wife, Elizabeth. Sometime after 1790, the family moved to Maryland, where Swigart died on January 9, 1832, at age 82.
[DAR Newsletter, Vol 11 # 2 Mar/Apr 2011 pg 137]
FREDERICK, MD: A FAMILY HISTORY CONNECTION
By Jim Bodycomb
1100 Hellen Creek Dr., Lusby, MD 20657; email@example.com
My father was born in Frederick, MD, but his parents lived in Forty Fort, PA. This is curious, but not surprising since my grandfather, a self-taught civil engineer, traveled from one surveying or construction site to another throughout a career spanning nearly 50 years. The family never stayed long in any one place; indeed, my father was hustled out of Frederick while he was still an infant. Permanent residences were established in Forty Fort or Wilkes-Barre, PA, with a summer home on nearby Lake Nuangola. But, much of the time the family was on the road, moving from one construction site to another.
While the family connection to Frederick may have been fleeting, it may have held some special significance for my grandfather. When he passed away in 1944, his obituary appeared in the local Frederick newspaper, despite the fact he had only lived in the area for a few short years early in the century.
This curious connection to Frederick, MD, could easily have gone unexamined like so many other fleeting family connections. But, in 2009 – 2010, the occasion of frequent, short trips to Frederick led me to try to understand what the family connection might have been. Numerous visits to historical societies, libraries, churches, and archives in Maryland (and, one side trip to Canada) yielded the following, thin narrative of the Bodycomb family connection to Frederick, MD.
**********Walter C. Bodycomb and Caroline S. Booth were married on August 12, 1903. He was the 28 year old son of a coal miner; she, the 25 year old daughter of a farmer. Before their marriage, Walter’s work had already taken him from the Wilkes-Barre area to both ‘old’ Mexico and New Mexico on surveying jobs for mining and railroad companies. From 1900 through the summer of 1905, he worked in the Scranton area, except for four months in 1903-1904 when he was at work in Clarksburg, WV. On May 18, 1904, a son, Frederick M. Bodycomb, was born to Caroline in Wilkes-Barre. A second son died in infancy in 1905 in Forty Fort.
Late in 1905, Walter’s work with Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co. brought him to Maryland to conduct surveys for a Baltimore, Frederick and Hagerstown railway. Initially, the survey work was undertaken without public announcements, which caused something of a stir in the local papers. One headline read “Survey is a Mystery – Civil Engineers Refuse to Disclose Their Object.” Later, it was revealed that the existing Frederick and Middletown Railroad would be sold, and the new owners would undertake “the construction of a low grade freight and passenger line from Baltimore city to Hagerstown, of which the Frederick-Middletown Road will be a link. A tunnel will be put through both [South and Catoctin] mountains for freight traffic, while passenger cars will run over the mountains on a separate track. Thousands of dollars, it is said, will be spent at Braddock Heights to convert the place into a first class resort. … It is now known the [mysterious surveying corps is] in the employ of the parties who have purchased our electric road and they are at work securing a low grade line from Baltimore to Hagerstown …”
Walter had become involved in a major railroad construction project. Expecting to be employed there for some time, he must have brought his young family with him to Maryland. They lived at one point at Winfield, in Carroll County between Baltimore and Frederick. As the survey crew worked toward the west, there is no evidence the family purchased property in Frederick, nor did they apparently participate in any way in the Frederick Presbyterian Church, which would have been their ‘natural’ church home. It’s likely, then, they rented quarters in or near Frederick after moving from Winfield. But where?
A small notice in the County Correspondence section of the Frederick Post newspaper offers a clue. Under Libertytown, the notice says “Civil Engineer Bodycomb, wife and son, Frederick, who is doing the survey work for the Baltimore, Frederick, and Hagerstown Electric Railway, of Winfield, Carroll county, spent Sunday last with Mrs. R. V. Simpson and family.” ‘Sunday last’ would have been June 17, 1906.
Libertytown, a quaint village of some 1300 residents east of Frederick, is today split down the middle by MD Route 26, the gradual widening of which has crowded out the front yards of the fine colonial homes lining its short main street. It’s not hard to imagine that, over 100 years ago, Libertytown would have been a very attractive village to the young Bodycomb family. Confirmation the family had settled there came in this notice in The News, County Correspondence – Libertytown section, on January 19, 1907. “Master Frederick Bodycomb, who is at the home of Mrs. R. V. Simpson, was quite sick several days last week, and Mr. Walter Bodycomb, who has been at Frederick at work between Frederick and Walkersville, taking the cross sections on the B. F. and H. survey, spent Sunday last with his family here.”
Rachel Virginia Simpson, it would appear, had taken in the young Carrie Booth Bodycomb and her two year old son Frederick, and provided a home for them in Libertytown. Mrs. Simpson must have been a very interesting woman. The third wife of Dr. Thomas W. Simpson, she was widowed in 1894. Apparently, she occasionally took in boarders in her fine old home. The original portion of the home was built in 1815, and it had been acquired by Dr. Simpson in 1862. Mrs. Simpson raised her own family there, and took in boarders through the early 1920s. Early and contemporary views of the house are pictured here.
While Walter was away at work, Carrie was able to take an active part in the Libertytown social scene. The News carried notices of Libertytown activities. “Mrs. W. C. Bodycomb entertained the card club at the home of Mrs. R. V. Simpson on Thursday of last week.” “Mrs. Sidney Sappington entertained the Euchre Club on January 30. The prizes were won by the following ladies: Mrs. Walter Bodycomb, first; Mrs. Harvey Boyle, Jr., second; Mrs. H. Stone, consolation.” And, on occasion, Walter was able to participate with Carrie in Libertytown social events. Under a notice headed “The Social World – Dance at Libertytown,” The News reported that “A select dance was given at the Libertytown Opera House … The Frederick Select Orchestra provided the music… chaperones were Mesdames James Sappington, of S., M. C. Welsh, Edgar Hammond, H.H. Boyle, W. C. Bodycomb. The committee was composed of Mr. Sidney Sappington, Mr. W. C. Bodycomb, Mr. James Sappington, of S., and Mr. Warner Welsh. Those present were: …. Mr. and Mrs. Bodycomb, Scranton, PA …” Mrs. Simpson’s house and Libertytown were probably turning out to be a fine home for the young family. This would have been especially important to Carrie, who was now pregnant with their third child.
It would appear the family had settled in to a comfortable living arrangement in Libertytown during 1906-1907. However, Walter’s work in Frederick County during this same period did not go as smoothly. The News reported “Though it was expected that work on the Baltimore, Frederick and Hagerstown Electric Railway would begin this week [April, 1906], it is now said that the beginning of work may be delayed for a time pending the final settlement for parts of the right-of-way.” The railway had been surveyed and laid out – Walter was “in charge of field parties” – but, it was never built.
Fortunately, Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co. had other work for the young civil engineer and his colleagues. In 1896, the Frederick & Middletown Railway had begun an interurban (or trolley) service between the two towns via Braddock Heights, which perched atop the Catoctin Ridge. As we have seen, the railroad’s owners were looking to make Braddock Heights into a first class mountain retreat. Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co. was hired to survey, locate and construct a five mile run from Braddock Heights down to Jefferson, passing along the scenic Catoctin Ridge through property which would be developed along the rail line. A street stretched along the ridge, with a sidewalk to one side and the trolley to the other. Lots were sold for private residences, and one new hotel was built – the Vindabona – overlooking the Middletown Valley.
This time, the engineers of Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co. finally got to not only survey and locate, but actually build, an electric railway (albeit on a much smaller scale than the original B. F. and H. plan). The COMPANY designed the railway, purchased all the equipment (from track bolts and nuts to trolley wire), hired the workers, and supervised construction. The following appeared in the Help Wanted section of The News: “Wanted – Men to lay track on Jefferson and Braddock Heights Railroad. Apply ready to work to Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co., Braddock Heights.” The construction work must have proceeded quickly, though building and operating railways at the time were not without hazard. A colleague of Walter’s “was uncoupling a car from the freight motor, and got caught between the cars, being squeezed very badly … He was taken to the City Hospital … it was found no bones were broken.” The Frederick City Hospital (pictured at right) had opened in 1902.
The completion of the railway to Braddock Heights was cause for considerable excitement in the little village of Jefferson. One resident addressed these sentiments in a letter to the editors of The Daily News. “Jefferson…, a town of about 800…for a long time seemed to progress but little, but at present we are glad to say has been stirred from its lethargy …The cause for this sudden spirit of activity may be traced in great measure, to the railroad. … a great change for good has come … E. J. R.” This letter appeared on October 1, 1907. The railway had then been in operation for some months. The following had appeared in The Daily News ‘Girl About Town’ column for March 9: “Deary me, to think of the old stage coach being discontinued to Jefferson! How long it’s been going its daily rounds passes my knowledge. Libertytown will want to stop its coach before long. …”
On October 3, 1907, Carrie gave birth to Walter C. Bodycomb, Jr., at the City Hospital in Frederick, MD. The hospital is located about 11 miles from Rachel Simpson’s house in Libertytown. The growing family might have stayed there for a little while, but it is not known how long. The infant pictures of young Walter that have survived were taken by a studio in Wilkes-Barre.
While Carrie would almost certainly have had her own private transportation to and from the hospital, she would likely have been acquainted with the Libertytown-Frederick stage coach driver, Mr. Harry Lescalleet (he started driving in 1903). In 1910, Mr. Lescalleet purchased a “White Gasoline Commercial automobile car” which held twenty people, and stage coach service to Libertytown finally ended.
According to the elder WCB’s resume, following the construction of the interurban he was engaged in “General City Work, Survey, Sewers and Paving for Frederick City, MD.” Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co. laid the sewer under Brewer’s Alley in late 1907. The Alley (not the sewer) is a landmark in downtown Frederick. The company also surveyed and completed the extension of West Third Street in 1908. Today, that extension (Rockwell Terrace) is a beautiful, tree-lined street of old Victorian homes. By 1909, Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co. was listed in the Frederick Directory with offices at 25 Court Street – now, an historic building.
By 1909, Walter had moved on to assignments in New York City and Havelock, Neb. In 1910, he took on his first appointment as Construction Superintendent at the Westinghouse Electric & Mfg. Co. plant at Newark, NJ. And, in 1914 he took on one of the most interesting construction jobs of his early career. For six months he worked at the magnificent Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia. Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co. had been called in as consultants to arrest the serious settling that threatened the structure, which had been built on reclaimed land on the Victoria waterfront in 1904 – 1908. Walter directed the removal of 25,000 tons of earth and the construction of a concrete deck in a “notable feat of engineering-construction work” to relieve the strain. Many years later, Walter would tell one of his grandsons that he took a corner room at the hotel and rigged a plumb bob in one corner. He monitored its movement during the construction process. When the plumb bob rested vertical, he knew his job was done.
Meanwhile, back in Frederick, MD, another Bodycomb appeared on the scene. Walter’s younger sister Madge Bodycomb is mentioned in The Daily News as visiting the Kemps at Clifton in August, 1909 and in September, 1913. Clifton is likely the name of a boarding house, and Madge may have been in Frederick because it’s the location of the Maryland School for the Deaf. She would go on to a distinguished career as an educator for the deaf, retiring in 1953 as Dean of Education at the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf.
The next Bodycomb newspaper reference, appearing in 1916, must have come as quite a shock to friends of the family in Frederick County. It appears not in the County Correspondence section or the Purely Personal section, but in a column titled The Work of Death. “Word has been received here of the death of Caroline Booth Bodycomb, wife of Walter Bodycomb, which occurred at their home in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Mrs. Bodycomb was well known here having resided in Frederick for some years, her husband being associated with the Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co. Besides her husband, Mrs. Bodycomb is survived by two sons, Frederick and Walter.”
The tragic passing of young Carrie at age 37 must have had a devastating affect on Walter and her two young boys (ages 8 and 11). But, life does move rapidly on. Walter would marry Helena Smith in 1917, and they would have two more children – Rosser, born in 1919, and Joy, born in 1921. And, his work would keep him (and his family) on the road for the next 28 years. He passed away in 1944, seven months after completing his last construction job.
With all his business travels, Walter would return only one more time to a job in the state of Maryland. This time, 1918-1919, to Cumberland, MD, where he was Superintendent of Construction at the B&O RR shops. The completion of this project must have been very important to the local economy. The Cumberland Evening Times announced “B&O Shop Reception Was a Unique Event – Thousands Enjoy the Dance Which Followed Speeches and Musical Program.” As had become his habit, Walter brought his family with him when he could. According to the Times, Frederick ran in track meets, and Walter attended a local birthday party.
Cumberland is not very close to Frederick, especially by the transportation standards of 1918. But, on this one construction job in Maryland other than his work in Frederick County over ten years earlier, Walter did a very telling thing. Apparently setting out with a business colleague, the Frederick News-Post (under County News Notes – Libertytown) reports that “Walter C. Bodycomb and partner, Mr. Black, of Iowa, visited Mrs. R. V. Simpson one day last week. They came by automobile.”
Walter Bodycomb and Rachel Simpson must have had so very much to talk about during that short visit. Caroline’s passing, and so many other events unknown to us (not to mention the World War) had taken place since the young family lived with Rachel in Libertytown. There were, no doubt, many happy times to be cherished in the memory – Rachel’s hospitality, young Carrie’s friends in Libertytown, dances at the Opera House. And, the time young Walter was born in Frederick, MD.
Civil engineers build things to last, sometimes on a grand scale. And, sometimes they do last. The Empress Hotel in Victoria, BC, was built to last, but even during construction it started to sink differentially into the reclaimed land on which it was being built. Throughout its history, the problem would plague the old hotel – the remediation undertaken in 1914 played a key role in ensuring the Victoria institution would be preserved. In 1965 the aging hotel was almost torn down. But, after a great hue and cry went up the edifice was renovated and refurbished – after a thorough examination of the settling problem was undertaken, and it was concluded the problem was within “acceptable limits.”
The technical history of the settling problem is documented in a technical paper published by Crawford and Sutherland in 1970. As of that date, the building sloped “approximately 30 in. (70 cm) from north to south.” The authors helpfully noted that “this will not be noticed by the casual visitor.” The authors wrote the following regarding the remediation work of 1914. “It is interesting to note that the consultants, Westinghouse, Church, Kerr and Co., recognized the deep-seated nature of the problem and the importance of reducing the weight of soil surrounding the building. After extensive study it was decided to … remove soil [and construct] a reinforced concrete deck … over the outside excavation. … the scheme had a noticeable affect on the rate of settlements.”
Walter Bodycomb was brought in to supervise the construction portion of the project. (Except for a short stint at the headquarters office in NYC, Walter was always involved directly in surveying or construction; he was clearly an ‘outside’ engineer.) In one version of Walter’s resume, he had originally written that the construction work ‘stopped’ future settlement. Later, the word ‘stopped’ was crossed out, and the word ‘relieved’ was put in its place.
Today, the (Fairmont) Empress Hotel is a magnificent place to visit. The standard building tour of the facility takes one through historic, richly decorated rooms (largely restored to their 1908 glory),
catalogs the fascinating cast of characters who have inhabited the place, and reviews the design and construction of the original edifice and all its various additions. The tour also addresses the challenges associated with building such a huge structure on artificially drained mud flats. The fact the grand old hotel has had a penchant for sinking never comes up. A history book available in the hotel gift shop, however, fills in the story.
“As the second addition was reaching its full height, the contractor made an ominous discovery. The south side of the hotel was sinking. … the CPR [Canadian Pacific Railway] president immediately called in a team of experts from New York. … Westinghouse, Church, Kerr and COMPANY… The grounds leading to the porte-cochere were excavated to a full 20 feet, and again the space was covered with a concrete deck, creating a ‘relieving chamber,’ a huge room of air, above which the grounds were cautiously relandscaped.” After the earth had been removed, a concrete deck had been constructed below ground level and earth was placed over that to allow for new landscaping. The new combination of concrete deck and a thin layer of earth had dramatically reduced the weight bearing down on the blue clay into which the pilings supporting the Empress Hotel foundation had been sunk in 1904-1905.
Touring the grounds of the Empress, and strolling across Government Street to James Bay, it’s easy to imagine the challenges the builders (and repairers) faced. The stone wall on the west side of Government Street is still properly referred to as a dam – it keeps the water out. And, to this day, the south side of the Empress, where the porte-cochere entrance (pictured here) still stands, is occupied only by lawn and gardens. No additional weight in the form of new buildings has ever been added here. In contrast, an enormous new wing was added to the Empress on the north side in 1929 (just in time for the Great Depression). On the south, beneath the beautifully manicured lawn and gardens, the concrete deck and relieving chamber (that “huge room of air”), built under Walter’s supervision almost 100 years ago, still keeps the grand old building (roughly) upright.
And, what of the construction work undertaken by Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co. in Frederick, MD? Brewers Alley is now marked by a fancy wrought iron archway, which stands next to a restaurant of the same name housed in the old Frederick City Hall. On Rockwell Terrace, mature trees frame a fine old neighborhood of stately Victorian homes.
And, what’s left of the interurban, that most dramatic change in local transportation in early twentieth century Frederick County? The trolley station at Braddock Heights is now a convenience store, the Jefferson station a feed store, and the Frederick station is vacant – but, they all still stand. The trolleys themselves enjoyed a long heyday until, by mid-century, they would all succumb to motor transport (just as they had displaced stage coaches). But, while they ran, their heyday was something very special, indeed.
One of the country’s most important chroniclers of this era was Ira Swett , who contributed many articles to magazines such as the Interurban Newsletter, and wrote some 50 books on the subject. In 1944, he recorded his experiences in Frederick County.
“Tucked deep in the heart of the Maryland countryside is an electric railway … which for picturesque countryside traversed, charming old cars and generally bucolic air just can’t be excelled. … On the far side of the [Braddock Heights] station the line to Jefferson takes off … the few miles of this highly scenic line is still used to take one to the Vindabona Hotel. If we are lucky, our operator will receive instructions to run out to the hotel for passengers; sure enough, the orders come through and we switch on to the Jefferson line. We curve left, leave the station and roll onto the top of the ridge for a ride that affords one of the most spectacular views to be seen from an interurban. Below to the right is the beautiful and fertile Middletown Valley … To the left can be seen more low country with occasional glimpses of the outskirts of Frederick, far below. … Abruptly we stop [at the hotel], and ahead where once was track are now only ties and poles, stretching far away into the distance; a pair of cross ties bare us from further venture out on the ridge and down its side to Jefferson.”
Today it is possible to drive along the Catoctin Ridge south of Braddock Heights and imagine that time. The scenery is still beautiful, with Middletown in the valley to the west and Frederick in the valley to the east. Even the Vindabona is still there, but it’s no longer a hotel. It’s now a nursing home.
And the interurban itself? The trolley tracks are long gone. But, in their absence, you can still tell they once were here. There is a sidewalk running down only one side of the street. On the other side, the lawns now reach all the way to the pavement. That’s where the tracks used to be. That’s where the trolley used to run.
1. The family never stayed long in any one place, … Three versions of WCB’s professional resume (one handwritten) survive. Unless otherwise cited, all information is based on these, and other, family records.
2. When he passed away in 1944, his obituary appeared in the local Frederick newspaper, …
The following appeared on page 5 of The Frederick Post, December 11, 1944. “The funeral of Walter C. Bodycomb, of Nuangola, PA., formerly of Frederick, took place Thursday at Nuangola. Mr. Bodycomb died December 1 at the age of 69. Some years ago he was located in Frederick with an engineering firm and was a member of Columbia Lodge No. 58, A. F. and A. Masons.”
3 .… she, the 25 year old daughter of a farmer …
In the 1880 census, in Kingston Township, Luzerne Co., PA, Jesse Booth is listed with his wife Ellen and two daughters: Caroline (age 2) and Anna (age 8/12). His occupation is given as farmer.
4. “Survey is a Mystery – Civil Engineers Refuse to Disclose Their Object.”
The News, Frederick, MD, July 17, 1905, page 2.
5. … the existing Frederick and Middletown Railroad would be sold, and the new owners would undertake “the construction of a low grade freight and passenger line from Baltimore city to Hagerstown …”
From a vertical file of newspaper clippings regarding railroads in Frederick County, a clipping titled The Latest from the Last Century, dated September 1, 2005, and reproducing an article from September 1, 1905. This file is available at the Frederick County Archives and Research Center in the Museum of Frederick County History, Frederick, MD.
6. … there is no evidence the family purchased property in Frederick, …
The Hall of Records at the Frederick County Courthouse, Frederick, MD, catalogs property transfer records alphabetically by both grantor and grantee. There are no listings for Bodycomb. Similarly, no listings for Bodycomb can be found in the Frederick City Directories of 1906 and 1909-10. These Directories can be found at the Frederick County Archives and Research Center.
7. nor did they apparently participate in any way in the Frederick Presbyterian Church …
Barbara W. Batdorf, Frederick Presbyterian Church historian, kindly searched the following church records: Sessional Records (1900-1910), Treasurer’s Records (1900-1910), and List of Members (1900-1907). No listings for Bodycomb were found. Private communication from Barbara Batdorf, January 20, 2010.
8. Under Libertytown, the notice says “Civil Engineer Bodycomb, wife and son, Frederick …” The News, Frederick, MD, June 23, 1906, page 7.
9. Libertytown, a quaint village of some 1300 residents east of Frederick …
The following appeared in The Insurance Yearbook, Part 2, published by Spectator Co., New York, N.Y. in 1909. “Libertytown, pop. 1354, fire area 75 acres, 50 volunteers, Roland R. Simpson, chief.” Roland R. Simpson was Rachel Simpson’s son.
10. Confirmation the family had settled there …
The News, Frederick, MD, Jan 19, 1907, page 2.
11. … Carrie Booth Bodycomb …
Based on census records, Merle Bodycomb identified the fact that Caroline Bodycomb went by the name Carrie. Private communication from Merle Bodycomb, August 11, 2005.
12. Mrs. Simpson must have been a very interesting woman.
Information on Rachel Simpson comes from her granddaughter, Connie Wivel (phone conversation, March 10, 2010), and from an obituary in the Linton-Holdcraft Obituary Collection supplied by Mary K. Mannix, Maryland Room Manager, Frederick Public Library (private communication, February 21, 2010). In the Frederick County Courthouse, the key Record in tracing the Simpson family home can be found at Liber 352, Folio 334, which records the 1925 sale of the property by Rachel Simpson to George and Ida Thomas. US Census records for 1910 and 1920 list boarders at Mrs. Simpson’s house.
13. “Mrs. W. C. Bodycomb entertained the card club …”
The News, Frederick, MD, Jan 19, 1907, page 2.
14. “Mrs. Sidney Sappington entertained the Euchre Club …”
The Daily News, Frederick, MD, February 7, 1907.
15. “The Social World – Dance at Libertytown,”
The News, Frederick, MD, Nov 17, 1906, page 5.
16. “Though it was expected that work on the Baltimore, Frederick and Hagerstown Electric Railway would begin this week …”
The News, Frederick, MD, April 19, 1906, page 3.
17. In 1896, the Frederick & Middletown Railway had begun an interurban (or trolley) service between the two towns via Braddock Heights … survey, locate and construct a five mile run from Braddock Heights down to Jefferson …
The following sources chronicle these railways:
· Frank L. Spitzer, The Hagerstown and Frederick Railroad System, June 26, 1936. This paper is available at the Frederick County Archives and Research Center.
· Herbert H. Harwood, Jr., Blue Ridge Trolley – The Hagerstown & Frederick Railway, Golden West Books, San Marino, CA, 1970. This book is available in the Maryland Room of the Frederick Library.
· Hagerstown and Frederick Railway, Wikipedia.
18. The COMPANY designed the railway, purchased all the equipment (from track bolts and nuts to trolley wire), hired the workers, and supervised construction.
Day [Account] Book. Jefferson and Braddock Heights Railroad COMPANY, Library of Maryland History Manuscript Collections, MS 493, Maryland Historical Society, Baltimore, MD.
19. “Wanted – Men to lay track on Jefferson and Braddock Heights Railroad.”
The News, Frederick, MD, Dec 28, 1906, page 2.
20. “…got caught between the cars, being squeezed very badly …”
The Daily News, Frederick, MD, April 4, 1907.
21. The Frederick City Hospital had opened in 1902.
A Brief History, from the Frederick Memorial Healthcare System web site: www.fmh.org.
22. “The cause for this sudden spirit of activity may be traced in great measure, to the railroad …”
The Daily News, Frederick, MD, October 1, 1907.
23 “Deary me, to think of the old stage coach being discontinued to Jefferson! … ”
The Daily News, Frederick, MD, March 9, 1907.
24 … stage coach service to Libertytown finally ended.
The Daily News, Frederick, MD, July 27, 1910, pg 5.
25. Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co. laid the sewer under Brewer’s Alley …
The Daily News, Frederick, MD, Oct 21, 1907, pg 5.
26. The COMPANY also surveyed and completed the extension of West Third Street …
The Daily News, Frederick, MD, April 16, 1908, page 5.
27. By 1909, Westinghouse, Church, Kerr & Co. was listed in the Frederick Directory …
Frederick City Directory,1909-10, R. K. Polk & Co., Baltimore, MD.
28. Walter directed the removal of 25,000 tons of earth and the construction of a concrete deck in a “notable feat of engineering-construction work” …
Wallace E. Belcher, Memoir No. 1661: Walter Christmas Bodycomb, Assoc. M. ASCE, published by the American Society of Civil Engineers following Walter’s death on December 1, 1944.
29. Many years later, Walter would tell one of his grandsons …
Private communication from Frederick Bodycomb, Jr., June 12, 2006.
30. …another Bodycomb appeared on the scene. Walter’s younger sister Madge Bodycomb …
The Daily News, Frederick, MD, August 28, 1909, page 5; and September 10, 1913. The Pennsylvania School for the Deaf published a biography of Margaret Bodycomb following her death on July 7, 1975.
31. “Word has been received here of the death of Caroline Booth Bodycomb …”
The Frederick Post, Frederick, MD, March 22, 1916, page 5.
32. “B&O Shop Reception Was a Unique Event …”
Cumberland Evening Times, Cumberland, MD, May 24, 1919, page 1.
33. … Frederick ran in track meets …
Cumberland Evening Times, Cumberland, MD, May 24, 1919, page 1; and May 29, 1919, page 5.
34. … and Walter attended a local birthday party.
Cumberland Evening Times, Cumberland, MD, May 10, 1919, page 9.
35. “Walter C. Bodycomb … visited Mrs. R. V. Simpson one day last week …”
Frederick News-Post, Frederick, MD, October 10, 1918, page 3.
36. In 1965 the aging hotel was almost torn down … The technical history of the settling problem is documented in a technical paper published by Crawford and Sutherland …
C. B. Crawford and J. G. Sutherland, The Empress Hotel, Victoria, British Columbia. Sixty-Five Years of Foundation Settlements, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. VIII, No. 1, February, 1971.
37. The standard building tour of the facility takes one through historic, richly decorated rooms …
Jim and Linda Bodycomb attended this guided tour of the Empress Hotel on May 27, 2010.
38. A history book … fills in the story.
Terry Reksten, The Fairmont Empress, the First Hundred Years, Douglas & McIntyre, Vancouver/Toronto, 1997.
39. One of the country’s most important chroniclers of this era was Ira Swett …
Harre W. Demoro’s summary of Ira L. Swett ’s career is in the collections of the Frederick County Archives and Research Center.
40. “Tucked deep in the heart of the Maryland countryside is an electric railway … ”
Ira L. Swett , Riding America’s Interurbans, Chapter Five. Published in the mid-nineteen forties, a copy is in the collections of the Frederick County Archives and Research Center.
1 All contemporary photographs were taken by Linda and Jim Bodycomb.
2 Photographs of Walter Bodycomb, and of Caroline Booth Bodycomb with her sons Frederick and Walter, Jr., were handed down through the Bodycomb family.
3 The picture of Rachel Simpson’s house in Libertytown (porch still intact) was provided by her great granddaughter, Connie Wivel.
4 The 1902 picture of the Frederick Hospital is from the Frederick Memorial Hospital web site, www.fmh.org.
5 The trolley picture, looking toward Braddock Heights, is a post card image from Wikipedia (File: Jefferson Blvd Mid).
Samuel M. Birely
This obituary is a mimeographed page folded up in a bifold card. No publisher was included. From the Linton Collection C Burr Artz Library
September 9, 1904
On Friday evening last Samuel M. Birely died at his home in this place after an illness of 9 days. The immediate cause of his death was septicemia, or blood poison, occasioned by a carbuncle on his neck and an attack of cellulitis on his face.
The deceased was the eldest child of the late Samuel and Barbara Birely; he was born at Ladiesburg, in this county, April 29, 1859, being 45 years, 4 months and 10 days old at his death.
He was educated at Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg, but was called home by the death of his father before completing the course. Taking charge of the estate he soon developed a capacity for business which in later years brought him success and a competence. His first business venture was the railroad warehouse in Graceham; disposing of that he came to Thurmont where for 2 years he engaged in the manufacture of fertilizers; having sold that plant he became a bill broker and conducted that business until March 1889 when with the late Van H. Osler the banking firm Birely and Osler was formed. upon the death of Mr. Osler in 1901, Mr. Birely determined to organize a national banking COMPANY to take over the business of the firm. This was done July 1, 1901 and Mr. Birely was elected president; he has held that position ever since. He was also largely instrumental in organizing the Citizens Bank of Gettysburg, PA, and the Smithsburg Bank of Smithsburg, Washington County, of the latter Mr. Reuben Brown is president and Mr. Birely was vice president.
He was one of the incorporators and later became the secretary and superintendent of the Mechanicstown Water COMPANY. With Mr. J. W. Creeger he established that excelsior industry, the manufacture of excelsior here, he was ever ready to give a hearing to any project or movement in the public interest.
In politics he was an ardent republican; he never held political office, but was once candidate for the House of Delegates, being defeated as was the remainder of the ticket.
He was a member of the Lutheran church and of the following fraternities and orders at Acacia Lodge, A F. & A M., Enoch Chapter Royal Arch Masons, Jacques de Molay Commandary Knights Templar, Chancellor Lodge, K. of P., Columbia Council, Jr. O. U. A.M., the Elks, Royal Arcanum, Woodmen and Eastern Star.
In 1880 he married Mrs. Belva Colliflower, widow of William Colliflower, and daughter of the late Wm. J. Kramer, who with 3 children, 2 sons and one daughter, survive him.
The funeral was held Monday. The deceased having made this statement some time previous to his death that such was his desired, Jacques de Molay Commandary Knights Templar was asked to take charge of the funeral and that impressive Masonic burial service was used. Rev. C. E. Keller conducted the church service and delivered the funeral oration. The funeral was a large one, representatives from the Smithsburg Bank, Directors of the Thurmont National Bank, a large body of Frederick B. P. O. Elks, a committee of Acacia Lodge A. F. & A.M., St. John’s C. E. society, the Bank of Baltimore, and Eastern Star, being present. Floral remembrances of rich design were sent by Jacques de Molay Commandary, B. P. O. Elks No 684, Thurmont National and Smithsburg Banks, C. E. Society, Acacia Lodge, Eastern Star and his niece, Mrs. Oman Titlow.
Interment was made in the U. B. cemetery, E. E. Black, funeral directors
A Neglected Source: a Case in Point: the Civil War Draft Rolls of Iowa’s Fifth Congressional District I By Howard E. Snedden pg 186Lenox, Richard 35 Farmer MD Decatur Twp., Decatur Co.
Hamilton County, Iowa, Pioneers
By Doris Lemon Anderson pg 189
Bonner, John G., b 1809 MD, son John & Mary F.
Hawkeye Heritage WINTER/1984
The 1897 Belle Plaine Biographical Directory
Submitted by June Beals
KROH, C. H. — b PA, 27 Mar 1846 — wf Emma SCHNEBLY, b Washington Co. MD, 1 May 1845 m 27 Feb 1873 — Ch John, Warren, Aldine, Lydia, Emma.
[page 96 Hawkeye Heritage Summer 2000 ]
16481-100 RAMSEY, SMITH. Seek desc of John & Priscilla Smith Ramsey who were m 1796 in Frederick Co, MD. Priscilla listed next to son, Michael W Ramsey, in 1840 census of Des Moines Co, IA. Michael (1802- 1878) is bur in Ramsey Cem, Pleasant Grove, Des Moines Co. He had 4 sons & 2 daus. George & Upton are only names I know. Marlene Beaver DiGiovanni, 465 Emerald Ave., San Carlos, CA 94070
[Hawkeye Heritage Volume 16, Fall-Winter, 1981,Number 4 October, November, December]
IOWA PIONEERS UPDATE By Jan Morlan
Name of Pioneer Birth Place Death Place ! Spouse county Where Settled Date
Beem, Michael 1801 MD 1876 IA Lucinda Rose Marion 1852
Children-Eleazer ,Abram , Roslinda , Sarah, Jonathan , Richard ,Michael ,Betsy and Jeshua
Page 154 –
Jackson, Jeremiah 1807 MD Retha ? Van Buren 1839 Children-Jacob, Asbury, Eliza, Sarah, Hinsmith and Jonathan.
Lewis, Jonathan 1783 MD Luticia Polk 1849
Children-Elizabeth, Mary, Jonathan, Comfort, Esther, Samuel, Lucrecia, George , Rebecca and John,
Moyna, Katherine (Lane) 1852 MD 1909 IA Patrick Moyna Clayton 1854
Tice, John – 1790 MD 1856 IA Ann Stoner Louisa 1849 Children-Daniel, Mary Jane, Benjamin, Eliza, John, Catherine, Rachel, Susannah, Samuel, David, Adam and Sara.
Hawkeye Heritage autumn 1984/Page 151
CHARLES McFADDEN, when six years old, lost his father by death and his mother when he was seventeen. The parents were Andrew and Margaret McFadden, the mother coming to Lawrence County, Indiana about 1838. Charles was born in South Carolina September 21, 1834, and remained with his mother until her death, receiving little education. August 7, 1862, he married Sarah, daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Bivins, who has born him four children: Mary, Kate, Lizzie and Grace. Mr. McFadden has been successful in his occupation of farming and owns a farm of 170 acres. In politics he is a Democrat. Richard Bivins, father of Mrs. McFadden, was born January 7, 1799 in Frederick County, Maryland. He was taken to Kentucky at the age of three years, and remained there until twenty-eight, when he came to Lawrence County. The McFaddens are well known and respected.
[History of Lawrence, Orange and Washington Counties, Indiana From the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with Interesting Biographical Sketches, Reminiscences, Notes, Etc. Chicago, Goodspeed Bros., & Co., Publishers, 1884. Weston A. Goodspeed, Leroy C. Goodspeed, Charles L. Goodspeed.
Out of state obituary
Grosz, Gerald “Jerry”, 61, of Irvine, passed away on December 2, 2009. Jerry was born August 19, 1948 in Emmitsburg, MD. He received a PhD in Chemistry from the University of Illinois and an MBA from Rider College in Princeton, NJ. Jerry and his family have been residents of Irvine since 1983. He enjoyed participating in his children’s educational, social and sports activities. He is survived by his wife, Barbara; his son, Ryan; and his daughter, Kelly; his sister, Mary Ann McKenna and her husband, Jim; and his mother, Grace Palmer of Heathsville, VA. Visit ocregister.com/obits to express condolences and sign this guest book.
Albea (Alby) Family
The Albea (Alby) family came to Iredell County in 1802. Joseph, born 1746, and Cassandra, born 1752. Albea were from Northwest Hundred of Frederick Co., MD. No data has been located on Joseph in Iredell County, N. C.
However, his wife, Cassandra, bought land on Dutchman’s Creek in 1802 from Charles Beall. Her son. Joseph Albea. was with her. Joseph was born in 1771 in Maryland and married Jane Beall about 1795. Jane Beall was the daughter of Zachariah and Rebecca (Tyson) Beall. who also settled early in Iredell County.
Zachariah Beall is a direct descendant of Col. Ninian Beall of MD. Joseph and Jane (Beall) Albea had the following children: Zachariah, Samuel, William, and Rebecca. Jane (Beal) Albea died August 2, 1805 in Iredell County and is buried at Mt. Bethel Methodist Church near Harmony, N. C. Joseph died Feb. 13, 1832. The Bealls and Albeas are all buried at Mt. Bethel Methodist Church.
Caroline Heath Davis
[Heritage of Iredell County, NC pg 4
George Dallas Lambert
GEORGE DALLAS LAMBERT came to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, shortly after the close of the Civil war, in which he had given specially gallant and faithful service as a soldier of the Union for over three years, and in this city he passed the remainder of his life, a substantial business man and a citizen whose sterling character gave him inviolable place in the confidence and good will of his fellow men.
Mr. Lambert was born on the old family homestead at the end of Patrick Street in Frederick City, Maryland, and was a son of Frederick and Catherine Lambert, of whom more specific mention is made on other pages of this work, in the personal sketch of his brother Walter. In the schools of his native city Mr. Lambert acquired his early education, and when the Civil war was precipitated on the nation he forthwith manifested his loyalty and patriotism by enlisting in a Maryland regiment of volunteer infantry that entered the Union service. He was with his command at in many important battles and innumerable minor engagements marking the progress of the great conflict, he and his brother William having been captured and having started on their way to a Confederate prison further in the South, but he managed to escape, passed through the Confederate lines at Harper’s Ferry and rejoined his command. His brother William, was not so fortunate, and died in Libby Prison.
[The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II, pg. 185]
Walter J. Lambert
WALTER J. Lambert, first vice president of the Citizens Bank of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, was born at Frederick City, Maryland, on the 15th of July, 1850. He is a son of Frederick Lambert, presumably a native of Virginia. The original American progenitors came from England in an early day and settled in the historic Old Dominion State. Frederick Lambert became a representative merchant at Frederick City, Maryland, his store and residence having been at the west end of Patrick Street. The maiden name of his wife was Catherine Lambright, she having been born and reared in Frederick City, where she and her husband continued to reside until their deaths.
They became the parents of the following sons and daughters: David, Michael, William H., Charles O. (served three terms as mayor of Martinsburg, West Virginia), John C., Harriet A., George Dallas (served as a member of the city council at Martinsburg, West Virginia, and was a soldier in the Civil war three years), Thomas F., Lewis E., Walter J., Franklin P. (died at the age of four years), and Emma J. The daughter Harriet became the wife of Walter H. Keedy, who served as a soldier of the Union in the Civil war. Mr. and Mrs. Keedy became the parents of six children, namely: Eugene, Mary, Laura, Naomi, Mabel and Emma, the latter of whom died in infancy. Emma J. Lambert became the wife of Charles E. Zieler, now deceased, and she now presides over the domestic economies and social regime of the home of her brother, Walter J., subject of this review.
[The History of West Virginia, Old and New Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc., Chicago and New York, Volume III, pg. 112-113]
BOOKS, MAGAZINES, SERVICES
ONLINE STATE RESOURCES FOR GENEALOGY
compiled by Michael Hait
This e-book contains active links to over 2,000+ separate online resources available for all 50 states and the District of Columbia. It is available exclusively as a PDF downloadable e-book, so that all you have to do is click on the links to access the websites described.
$15.00. To purchase, visit: www.lulu.com/contente- book/online-state-resources-for-genealogy/10107400
Michael Hait [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Abbreviations: 1/w = first wife; 1/h = first husband etc; 2ggm = great-great grandmother; b = born; b/p = birthplace; bap = baptism/christening; bef = before; bu = buried; B = black; c = circa, ch = children; d = died; f/o = father of; fam = family; gf = grandfather; gm = grandmother; h/o = husband of; hx = history; IGI = International Genealogical Index; m = married; mo = mother; M = Mulatto; p/o = parents of; r = resided;
Greetings! I’m sending this inquiry about Moses Hamilton Snyder b. 24 Jun 1831 in MD and d. 10 Sep 1912 in Butler Township, Darke Co, Ohio. He married Anna (or Sarah) Marie Smith on 10 Dec 1853. He first shows up on the 1850 U.S. Census in Middletown, Frederick Co, MD living with a family Enos and Elizabeth Poffenberger. He continues to appear on the U.S. Censuses in Frederick Co, MD up until and including the 1900 Census. Moses and family apparently moved to Darke Co, Ohio between 1900-1910.
His parents may have been John Snyder and Susan Hessong, but I don’t have any concrete evidence.
[Joe Mills mailto:email@example.com]
Joseph Lovejoy: looking for records to confirm that he gave or provided service during the revolutionary war. (1749 MD.-1823 Adams Co., OH). His children were born in Frederick, MD 1776-1779. Abstract of Graves of Revolutionary Patriots listed Joseph Lovejoy of Adams Co., Ohio. Also need record of marriage 1770-1774 with Sarah Davis of Prince Georges Co., MD.
[Patti Waitman-Ingebretesen, 8231 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland OR 97219;Pattiwirler@Comcast.net]
Family history states that our ancestor, Thomas Dickson (Dixon) is buried in Frederick Co, MD after a fatal bout of small pox as a soldier during the American Revolution. His son, Henry Dixon (Dickson) (1774- 1854) is documented, as is his wife, Joyce Farmer. We are, however, stumped at going back any farther.
Henry settled in Kentucky. ( I wonder if this was the result of a land grant. Searching for Revolutionary War records for Thomas have been inconclusive. We cannot, as yet, find a Thomas that matches a child, Henry, or wife that is recognized.) I have searched on-line with no success (familysearch.org does have one entry from a cousin, Linda, but she is only repeating the family legend). My search has discovered a small pox outbreak did, indeed, occur and there was, evidently, a hospital in New York state for these soldiers. I can find no more as yet. Finding his burial place would help so much. It is not feasible for me to get to Frederick Co at this time (or the near future). Could anyone in your organization assist?
It would mean a lot to us to locate his final resting place and confirm (or not) this piece of family lore. A great aunt (Erie) who passed away in the 1970’s probably got this info from her grandparents, Henry’s grandson and daughter-in-law.
[James G. Dixon, 2420 Neff Bratton Road, South Webster. Ohio 45682 H: 740-778-2570 Cell: 304-412-0771]
Please send all correspondence and dues to the FRECOGS mailing address:
FRECOGS, Post Office Box 412, Frederick, MD 21705-0412
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Frederick County, MD pages:
President: Nancy Thrasher Cherry, 301/572-4406 <email@example.com>
Vice-President: Jane Thursby, 1537 W. Liberty Road, Sykesville, MD 21784 wk: 410-517-3679 and yes you can call hm: 404-217-2604 <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Treasurer: Kathy McLaughlin, Post Office Box 412, Frederick, MD 21705-0412<email@example.com>
Secretary: Dorothy Reed firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of directors: Helen Conte; Paul Mellot; Larry Moore; Dottie O’Neal; Liz Stitley